Follow me in Twitter

Sunday 30 August 2015

My Okay Kanmani Moment





All through my life, I always love to observe people. You may call it overhearing and whatever but that's my hobby. Most of the time, I learn many things from these strangers and try to follow the good values from them.
As usual, I went to this favorite restaurant of mine along with a friend. A young couple in their late 20s sat next to us... this girl asks her husband.. "How much is the EMI?"... he shows hand signal "Five". This girl calls someone, later I came to know its one of her parents.
The conversation progressed and she tells her parent that her husband needs 50,000 to pay his EMI bill and it sounds like they agreed. As usual, the usual talk happens and they asks her what she is eating and she replies back...before hanging up "Ithoda pothum verum ethum seiyathinga paa"...
Now the girl tells her husband "50K potruvanga but ithudhaan kadasi, I won't ask my parents again".
This kind of demanding husbands are there in every family. I'm not saying he is bad or ill treating his wife, I'm nobody to judge him, may be he would have financially broken and just asked for her in-laws' support but these kind of things actually diminishing my hope on the institution of marriage.
"How could someone truly love a girl and at the same time, demanding financial assistance from her parents. It's okay to tell them his issue and get the needed amount as loan but squandering the money of his in-laws just because the fact that they would definitely do it for her daughter, can't be a quality of a true man- again not being judgmental about the guy whom I've just seen but this is my humble opinion"...
The couple paid the bill and went off.. cut...
I'm yet to finish my Paneer Biryiani whereas my friend has ordered his butter milk. Opposite to our table, sat a couple who are at their late 60s...
The husband reads the menu louder so that his wife could choose her desired dish.
Husband: "Masala Dosai, Butter Dosai... Ghee roast...Gobi Dosa"...
The wife stops him "Oothapam?"...
Husband smiles, "Oothapam sapdava hotel ku vanthom?"... Wife smiles sheepishly...
He calls the waiter "Mushroom soup one by two kodunga"... wait wait... "oothapam oru plate " (A bright light on the wife's face")...
"Oothapam matum pothuma", asks the husband.. she doesn't have any answer. The husband tells the waiter " Phulka rendu ... panner butter masala vum"...
I was thinking "May be this young couple who had just fought over the EMI bill would someday end up like this lovely 60 year old couple, life could teach them a lot or this old couple would have had heated arguments during their young age"...
I paid my bill and approached the door with a flared up confidence on the institution of marriage...
May be this is my , #MyOkayKanmaniMoment

No comments:

Post a Comment